Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to footer

New Building Code

The new building code has regulations that affect us all

Farm Buildings
• Farm buildings which have a residential occupancy (i.e., sleeping quarters) are subject to the construction standards found in the CCA, including application of the National Building Code of Canada.
o To clarify, there is no exemption from construction standards for buildings constructed on agricultural land if the building has sleeping quarters.
• This requirement only applies to new construction: existing buildings where no new construction work is being done are not required to be upgraded simply because construction standards now apply. After January 1, 2022, any new farm building with a residential occupancy or any renovation, alteration or addition to an existing building with a residential occupancy is required to comply with the construction standards but only as it applies to new work.

Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Alarms
• All buildings with a residential occupancy (i.e., sleeping quarters) are required to have carbon monoxide and smoke alarms installed by July 1, 2022. This includes older buildings which were initially constructed prior to these devices being required in the relevant building code and farm buildings with sleeping quarters.
o To clarify, all buildings in Saskatchewan where people are expected to sleep will need to have carbon monoxide and smoke alarms installed. The size of the building, age of the building or if the building is seasonably occupied (e.g., cottages) do not exempt the building’s owner from needing to comply.
• Local authorities are responsible for enforcing this requirement but are recommended to use passive enforcement. If a building official or fire inspector is in the building for any other purpose and notices the required devices are missing, they could write an order requiring the owner to comply.
o There is no expectation that local authorities will go door-to-door to ensure buildings are complying.